Monday, January 8, 2018

Back to School...or not.

Today should have been the boys first day back to school after Christmas break.  But thanks to sheets of freezing rain, and now snow, they are home again today.  They have no complaints about extending their Christmas break by a day.

I had quite a few things planned to do around the house today, so this means all of my plans aren't going to happen.  That's OK.  I won't complain about a lazy jammie day.

We took down all of the Christmas decorations over the weekend.  It always makes me sad.  But for some reason this year, it really hit me hard (like ugly cry hard).  Time is flying and the boys are getting older and it's happening too quickly for me.  I started thinking that the oldest will be 16 in one month.  Pretty soon he'll be off to college and our family Christmas traditions may not stay the same.

I know, I still have several years before that happens, but it just hit me that my boys are growing up and things won't stay the same.  To say that I don't handle change well is an understatement.  I know that my job is to raise the boys to become happy, independent, moral men and send them out into the world.  My head knows this.  But my heart wants to keep them little.

These days are short.  And the busyness of the world makes it hard to enjoy every moment.  But I have to remember that I need to enjoy EVERY moment, even the difficult or mundane.  But enjoying every moment doesn't mean holding on to it (or the boys) with a death grip.  At least I have a few more years to perfect all of this and to learn to embrace the change.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Decorating: Using What YOU Have and Leaving The FOMO Behind

photo from Decorators Warehouse  I love decorating for Christmas.  You know that.  And usually I'm ok with my decorations.  Could I have...