Tuesday, January 26, 2021

This Weeks Menu and a Missing Family Member

 We are missing someone this week.  Sunday we took the oldest back to college.  We all miss him and it's going to take some time to get used to family life without him.  I feel like we are just not complete.  But I know he's where he needs to be.  

Last weeks menu included all of his favorite meals and some take out that he requested.  It certainly wasn't the healthiest of eating plans.  I feel like I need a detox.  Since we are down a family member, I am truly trying to cut our grocery bill.  It was really getting out of control.  I'm embarrassed to write down what it got up to.  So I am making some changes.  2 in private school and 1 in college means money is very tight.  It's up to me to do a better job being a steward of our finances.  

This weeks menu:

Fri:  Pierogi's (from a Cleveland bakery) and baked cod (sprinkled with lemon juice and fish seasoning. Baked at 400 F until done)






Sat:  Take out Pizza (per son's request)




Sun:  Left overs/sandwiches after our 8 hour trip

Mon:  Dirty Rice (I used venison and used this recipe from Grandbaby Cakes as a guide)

Tues:  Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup (from Baked By Rachel)

Wed:  Mini venison meat loaves,  mashed potatoes, vegetable (mashed potatoes in the slow cooker from Made It. Ate It. Loved It.)

Thurs:  Honey Sesame Chicken in the slow cooker over rice (from The Gunny Sack)


I spent a lot less at the grocery for this week than I had been.  But we bought the pierogi's, pizza, and lunch on the road Sunday so the savings wasn't as much as I had hoped.  There's no eating out next week so hopefully I can see a bigger savings.  One thing I am going to try to do more is soups.  Soups with rolls can be filling, healthy, and cost effective.  


Hop on over to Orgjunkie.com for more menu planning inspiration on her Menu Plan Monday post for this week (and yes, it's Tuesday.  I'm a day behind). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Decorating: Using What YOU Have and Leaving The FOMO Behind

photo from Decorators Warehouse  I love decorating for Christmas.  You know that.  And usually I'm ok with my decorations.  Could I have...