Thursday, February 17, 2022

I Went To The Gym This Week

 We joined a new athletic club February 2020.  And then the world shut down.  I went there one time before Covid hit.  And I thought I would really use this gym.  But Covid...  And even worse than Covid is my being an introvert and having anxiety over new things.  I went to this club last summer for a few times but to the outdoor lake with my kids. But I just couldn't bring myself to go to the gym area.  Why?  Why would someone pay money monthly and not use the facility?  Oh, the joys of being an introvert and having anxiety (and I think I might have a tad of social anxiety disorder). But I went today.  And it was great.  And I'm mad at myself that I didn't go earlier.  But what were my excuses??

1.  I'm too fat for the gym:  I KNEW this was so totally stupid. Overweight people should go to the gym.  But I'm out of shape and embarrassed on how I look, so I put all of that over the fact that going to gym could get me healthy.  It's such a disordered way of thinking.  Did I feel any less fat today?  NO.  In fact, I looked at myself in the giant wall of mirrors and thought that I actually look fatter than I thought I was (not a good feeling).

2.  I don't know how to use the machines:  I used the treadmill.  It's not rocket science.  I have a college degree.  I figured it out.

3.  I don't have the right equipment:  I have shoes.  I have clothing.  That means I have the right equipment.  Looking in that giant wall of mirrors, I realized that my work out clothing is sad and ill fitting.  That's ok though.  I still had clothing.  And it covered "all the things' even if it didn't look very good (why are my pants "floods"?).  

4.  I don't know anyone:  I survived.  I didn't need to know anyone to get on the treadmill.

So, I survived day one.  And I will be going back (hopefully tomorrow).  And I hope I keep going.  I need to get healthy.  It's important for my physical and mental health (I'm tired of hating how I look.  It's exhausting).  

Please don't use my lame excuses for not going to the gym. GO TO THE GYM.  I'm with you in spirit and I'm cheering you on... flood pants and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Decorating: Using What YOU Have and Leaving The FOMO Behind

photo from Decorators Warehouse  I love decorating for Christmas.  You know that.  And usually I'm ok with my decorations.  Could I have...